Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Matt Balsinger, opinion editor of the Buchtelite


The Buchtelite staff is a pretty carefully chosen group.  Our opinion editor, Matt Balsinger is no exception.

"My extreme science background is always a benefit to whatever I do and, you know, I like to tell stories," Balsinger said.  "What makes me beneficial to the opinion section is that I like to tell stories."

And Balsinger isn't the only one who loves to weave a tale or two.  Balsinger, by far, has the most writers contributing to his section of the Buchtelite.  Although part of this may be just because there are a lot of people who'd like to share their own side of things, my hunch is that Balsinger knows how to keep his writers coming back.

"Every time I send an email to one of my writers, I make it ridiculous sounding.  Ridiculous sounding in the sense that it might make you chuckle a little bit," Balsinger said.  "My biggest advice I give people is make sure when you're writing something, the subject is something you care about.  The best things that people can write are things that come from the heart."

The one thing that the Buchtelite has over other newspapers, according to Balsinger, is our look.

"[The Buchtelite has] consistently good designs," Balsinger said.  "It takes us forever to get stuff out and we've had many late nights, but everything is good quality.  There have been papers I've seen in the past that looked like poop.  It looked like they were following a formula.  We're following a formula ourselves, but we make it much less noticeable."

Be sure to check back in the near future for more Buchtelite interviews!

Have a good day,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment